Guinea Pig, the body is compact, short and thick, the head is big and the neck is short, the ears are round and small, the limbs are short and small, the front foot has four toes, the rear foot has three toes. Their ancestors came from the Andes mountains in South America, with a history of over 3000 years of artificial domestication and breeding, and their natural prototypes have been extinct.
Guinea pigs are vegetarian herbivores, and their work and rest time are night animals, which can also be called day and night animals. That is to say, they like to feed in the sunset or before the sun gets angry, and sleep during the day. However, after artificial feeding, guinea pigs have gradually adapted to the rest time of human beings.
Guinea pig is a kind of group animal, so it is very Group and can be very close to human beings. It can express its meaning by calling, and even interact with human beings through calling.
guinea pig selection skills:
- Select the most lively one among all guinea pigs, who likes jumping and running.
- When choosing guinea pigs, carefully observe the appearance, including whether the mouth, nose, eyes and ears are clean, whether the hair of the whole body is clean and smooth, and whether the buttocks are clean and free of dirt.
3. When selecting guinea pigs, carefully observe whether the limbs of guinea pigs are clean, whether the limbs are disabled, and whether the claws are intact and clean.
4.When choosing a guinea pig, listen to whether the sound of the guinea pig is hoarse. Use food to attract the guinea pig to see if it can be seen and whether it can be sniffed.
5. When choosing a guinea pig, judge the male and female of the guinea pig. It is not recommended to buy a pair to go home, because it may be close relatives such as brothers and sisters, and it is very troublesome for the guinea pig to breed, and it is easy to get pregnant when estrus develops early, which will cause damage to the body of guinea pigs. You can choose one if you spend more time with them. If you spend less time, you can choose two same-sex guinea pigs and raise them together.
Basic preparation for guinea pig feeding:
- Residence: Guinea pigs are generally recommended to be raised in rabbit cages with medium size or above, but the gap between the bottom net of the rabbit cages is too large, which is easy to get stuck. It is recommended to use foot pads. Nowadays, it is popular to use mesh or magic film to assemble the residence of guinea pig by oneself. The price is not expensive, free and convenient, and it is very popular.
2.Diet: The Scientific feeding method of guinea pigs is unlimited dry grass + professional guinea pig grain (within 20g) + a small amount of vegetables and fruits and professional herbivores snacks + clean water. At present, it is generally believed that it is not good for guinea pigs to use too much starch-containing food, so it is recommended to avoid eating.
In terms of forage grass, alfalfa grass is recommended for less than 5 months, with high protein and calcium, which is helpful for the physical development and growth of young guinea pigs. It is recommended to use Timothy grass for more than 5 months, which is rich in nutrition and reasonable in crude fiber.
In terms of food, it is suggested that high-quality professional food should be chosen as far as possible if conditions permit, which will be helpful to the nutrient richness and growth and development of guinea pigs.
In terms of vegetables, fruits and snacks, vegetables, sweet peppers, cucumbers, lettuce (drain water) and so on are OK, fruits, Green dates, jujube, apples (without cores), watermelon White (in the middle of red soil and green melon peel), etc. In terms of snacks, the brand’s straw cakes, straw bricks and so on.
In terms of drinking water, pure water, mineral water, plain boiled water, filtered water and so on can be selected. It is not recommended to directly supply tap water. There are still some hidden dangers.
3.Supplies for guinea pigs:
Water dispenser, it is recommended to use ball or needle dispenser, the capacity is convenient a guinea pig needs 200ml of water per day.
Eating basin, guinea pigs have the habit of arching east and west (this is really similar to pigs), so it is suggested that Guinea pig eating basin should use ceramic, metal or food basin which can be fixed on the cage net, and the size is suggested to use rabbit eating basin.
Toilet, guinea pig toilet is recommended to use rabbit toilet, but pay attention to the bottom net on the toilet need to lay foot pads. At present, there are also many people who use dog toilets for guinea pigs. The effect is still good.
Nest, you can choose bottomless cotton nest (necessary in winter), bottomless wood nest, bottomless other nests that are not easy to gnaw or safe in material. It is recommended to pay attention to the size, the guinea pig can be fat after adulthood.
Straw stand, it is recommended to choose spring straw stand or similar two-in-one straw stand. At present, some cloth straw stands are also good.
The above are necessary supplies for guinea pigs, and other optional supplies include toys, tunnels, etc.
4. Cushion materials:
The cushion materials used by guinea pigs is used to cover the taste under the cage, and there are many choices at present.
They mainly use urine pads, wood grains, sawdust, etc. There are also towels or various flannels, which need to be washed frequently.